More4kids likes to recognize both individuals and organizations that make a positive impact in the lives of families. "First Things First” is such an organization that has made a positive impact in the lives of many families and in the community in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. They focus on assisting families with various areas of interest. This nonprofit organization works with numerous resources in the Hamilton County area, such as businesses, special groups, and individuals to bring together a wide selection of resources for the families in the area. The leaders of the community established that the county would be strengthened by first strengthening the families of that community. This marked the beginning of “First Things First”. We will review what this organization does, what they stand for, and why this organization deserves credit for the hard work they do helping families and couples.
The Problem they work to solve
Recent studies on the family units in the Chattanooga Tennessee area have concluded that while high standards are important among the citizens, there are a number of families that are in a crisis type situation. It is not common to hear of single mothers and single fathers raising children alone, not knowing where the absent parent is. There are many women who have children out of wedlock. Teenagers are experimenting with drugs and premarital sex. Divorce and even poverty are experienced by many families in the community. “First Things First” works closely with the residents of the community to ensure that individuals experience relationships that are long and healthy encourage parents to be active and learn as much as they can, and wish to work to prevent pregnancies by women who are not married.
In order to meet the goals as outlined by the members who work in “First Things First”, a plan has been put into place. This plan includes:
1. To uphold values and principles that is relatively high when it comes to tradition. These standards have been evaluated for value and therefore provide solutions on how to overcome moral degradation among families. This organization operates on these standards and helps families in the area to do the same.
2. Training is an essential component of success when it comes to individuals in the community. This organization works to ensure that the people who work with the families that are experiencing a crisis are fully trained and equipped to work within this capacity.
3. In order for “First Things First” to properly address the issues that the community faces, it must thoroughly understand these concepts. Research that is conclusive is conducted within the community by this nonprofit organization in order to uncover the complications that families face.
4. “First Things First” knows and understands the importance of educating the public on issues concerning families, and uses this to their advantage to receive support from community organizations, businesses, civic groups, and individuals.
Examples of Services Offered
There are many different services offered by “First Thing First”. Listed below are some excellent examples of how families in this particular area can benefit from this organization:
1. There are many different marriage classes offered to those who are already married, those considering marriage, and those that are considering just living together. Many different topics are addressed in these classes. Subject matter is essential to building a core instruction that works to preserve the marriage.
This is why it is not uncommon to experience studies on affairs, anger management, communication, and even retirement. There are also classes offered on the topic of divorce. This is very beneficial in those relationships that are considering terminating the marriage.
2. Many classes offered by this organization are geared towards teenagers. Teenagers can learn about premarital sex and are encouraged to wait, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, dating, and other popular topics such as dating, peer pressure, and more. “First Things First” works to educate teenagers to make the right choices by equipping them with the knowledge to do so.
3. Parenting is a difficult job, and this organization knows and understands that. This is why there are a number of topics covered and classes offered on parenting. You can learn how to raise children in a confident manner, preventing pregnancy among teenagers, proper diet for children, improving negative behavior among children, how to say “no” as a parent when it becomes necessary, warning signs that may indicate your child is in trouble, and even single parenting.
As you can see, at “First Things First”, there are many different resources offered to families in the community. It is the goal and vision of this organization to ensure that parents and children alike are equipped with the knowledge to make the right decisions, understand the values and traditions of the family unit, and have the support that is needed to do so.
To learn more about "First Things First" and the services they offer, visit their website at http://firstthings.org/