The choice to hire a babysitter is no longer an easy one for parents. It is no longer appropriate to simply trust just anyone with your children. It is essential that you hire an individual that can allow you the comfort of knowing that your child is being properly cared for, and one that your child will be content with. Here, you will learn about the best methods to utilize when seeking care for your child. You will also learn how to compose an effective checklist for the individual that you will eventual hire to sit with your child.
The first step to hiring an appropriate sitter is the ability to trust the individual that you select. There are numerous things that could happen while you are away, and having an individual sit with your children that is trustworthy can allow you a certain level of confidence when you are unable to be with your child. Trust can generally be established by checking references. It is imperative that you obtain a list of personal and professional references of the individual that you are considering hiring to care for your child.
There are numerous places that you can look for individuals who can fill your babysitting needs. Looking to places in the community is a great start. There are many individuals that attend church, have children that go to school with your children, in your neighborhood, and at your job that may make great babysitters for your child and/or children. You may even be able to discover youth group members, teachers, and other childcare providers to sit with your children while you are away from the home.
Once you have decided on a few individuals that you are interested in as far as your babysitting needs are concerned, you should interview each of them. You should seek out individuals that have previous experience in caring for children. You should also look for important skills, like being first aid certified and childcare training. It is also extremely important to ensure that the babysitter that you select has reliable transportation and does not have bad habits that may interfere with the proper care of your child.
Many individuals who seek babysitters for their child will require a background check. If you are able to find an affordable background check service, this is highly recommended. It is important to ensure that the potential babysitter does not have any type of violent, drug, or sex related type crime on their record. It is ideal to select only individuals that have a clean background check. This way, you can have a higher level of trust and confidence in the individual that will be caring for your child when you are not present.
Once you have elected an individual for your child care needs, it is important to ensure that you provide a detailed checklist for the babysitter. The following information should be placed on the babysitter checklist:
- Your full name, address, and telephone number. You should also include the full name, and birth date of the child and/or children that the babysitter will be caring for.
- If you have an emergency contact telephone number, such as a cell phone or a work number, this should also be included.
- All emergency numbers, even 911, should be written down. Sometimes, in an emergency, even the simple “911” number can be difficult to recall.
- You should include details about your child such as bedtimes, medication, allergies, permissible foods and beverages, and similar information.
- Be certain to create a note that gives the babysitter permission to authorize any type of emergency and/or medical care that may become necessary while they are caring for the child.
- Detail where the first aid kit and medication is in the home.
- Provide a detailed list of any rules and/or restrictions.
By following the information contained here, hiring a babysitter can be an easy process for you and your family.
No part of this article may be copied or reproduced in any form without the express permission of More4Kids Inc © 2007 All Rights Reserved