Home » Topics » Parenting » How to get your kids to read?

How to get your kids to read?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of amber amber 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Beverly
    Beverly
    Participant

Anyone have any tips on getting your children to read?

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

I paid them to read when they were young. They would ask, “Daddy, how much is this book?” I would sort of weigh it and flip through the pages. “That one is $1.50”. They turned into little bookworms. Later they stopped asking me for a price and just read. It worked. Both my girls tested at college level in reading when they were 9 years old. I recommend it.

Profile photo of Shannon Serpette
    Shannon Serpette
    Participant

What really encouraged my kids to read was making it a family event. They’d pick a book and then we would sit down together and I’d read to them. Even long after they could read, they would still want some family reading time.

Also, making sure they have material that interests them is so important. My son and I love the Harry Potter books and any kind of fantasy book, but my daughter is bored to tears by those. She likes funny books like the Captain Underpants series and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. She’s a little more challenging to find books for, but the librarian at our local library has been great about choosing books she’ll enjoy now that she knows what her tastes are.

You also want to make sure the reading level isn’t too high for them. Because if they struggle with the words, they’ll get frustrated and bored. It will make them hate reading instead of loving it.

I agree with Alex’s tip too. I’m not above a little bribery. Lol. Especially if it causes them to stick with something that will benefit them for life, like reading.

Profile photo of amber
    amber
    Participant

I think it depends on how you deal with them. If you talk to the in a nice way, I am sure they will listen to you. Get them interesting and colorful books that will attract them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.