Home » Topics » Baby and Newborn » Don't Get Too Work Up About What's Normal

Don't Get Too Work Up About What's Normal

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex Alex 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Shannon Serpette
    Shannon Serpette
    Participant

As a new parent, you’re probably caught up in the comparison game. You want to know how your child stacks up to other babies in terms of development. But before you start wringing your hands in despair if your child is a bit behind, let me tell you what happened to me.

When my son was a baby, the doctor said his head was too little for his body size. They said we would have to watch it closely. Talk about freaked out! I could barely sleep that night as I silently willed his head to start growing. After spending so much time worrying about it, at the next appointment a month or so later, they didn’t even mention it. It seems his head growth was catching up. All that panic and worry was for nothing.

My sister-in-law had doctors trying to tell her that her 2 year old could be autistic because he wouldn’t talk … at all. He wouldn’t utter a word. You could see he was a champ at observing everything that was going on around him.

For months, they tried to convince her that her son was autistic and she felt in her heart they were wrong. And they were. One day he started talking. Turns out he was perfectly fine. He just hadn’t felt like talking yet.

My point is, babies move at their own pace. They aren’t worried about what doctors say. While you should always pay attention to doctors, you need to realize they can be wrong too.

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

That is definitely true, I think we all have seen this or have friends who have gone through these things. Thank you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.